Flipping pages…scientifically speaking

 First up…data science


This book kept me interested due in part to Seth Stephens- Davidowitz’s extensive knowledge and experience as a data scientist at Google. It also helped that he’s a very good writer with a sense of humor despite dealing with a somewhat depressing subject.  Big data is watching us and knows more about us than even our nearest and dearest. So much information is collected that much of it is irrelevant. That made me feel a little better. I also found out that truth is stranger than fiction and people are indeed wacky. I remain hopeful that the technology can improve a variety of issues by compiling useful information. On a personal level, I appreciate that I can learn innumerable things with my searches so I won’t be quitting google any time soon.

Life…summing it up with some behavioral/social science with organizational psychologist, Adam Grant.



I really love this book…bottom line, mistakes happen, learn from them, stay creative. Don’t hang on to wrong assumptions, think like a scientist and don’t be too stubborn to change thoughts and opinions. The book is filled with interesting stories to support his recommendations. BlackBerry anyone? Steve Jobs didn’t want to expand to cell phones? A great read and definitely on my top 21 of 21.

Love the cover of this book

Horowitz is a psychologist with a PhD in cognitive science, and she takes the reader on a walk through her NYC neighborhood with expert eyes. These eyes include her toddler, her dog, a geologist, an  entomologist, graphic designer, naturalist, a sound engineer and blind person. The book was a great way to open my eyes to seeing more from different perspectives. I was encouraged to walk in my neighborhood without a book in my earbuds and just notice what’s right under my feet, in front of my face, or over my head. I thought I was observant, but this book really enhanced my desire and ability to pay attention and enjoy the sometimes overlooked. My favorite section? The geologist.

Happy reading!

Comments

  1. When I was a computer programmer, I had a short stint at Epsilon in Burlington, at that time it was just marketing. I was a letter programmer and programmed junk mail. It was astonishing what information was collected. I think the last book you reviewed sounds very interesting. I should look into it. I need to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Three fascinating titles. Think Again has been on my list for awhile. The last title sounds so familiar that I think I must have started it and given up on it for other reading that had to be done. I know I never finished it. I really enjoy reading your reviews! So many books . . . so little time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A fabulous selection of books 😁. Thanks for sharing and wishing you a lovely weekend! Hugs Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are some interesting reads, Nan. You may google away, but I am not going to fall for their data snare that tries to drive me in ways I don't choose to go. You will never catch me doing an internet search on google. No way are they going to collect my data, anymore than the grocery and big box stores with their plastic cards you show each time you buy something in their stores. Not so subtle way of tracking your data, what you buy, and what you spend.

    I would like to read Think Again. It sounds great.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Favorite Read this month

Art in Bloom

T stands for Time together