Flipping pages and feeling nostalgic

For the long road…

… at Home in Ireland

I keep thinking we will get back to Ireland this year. August has turned into September, October is coming soon and our best hope looks like November. In the meantime, some Irish reads 


A favorite of 2021

I read  Apeirogon by McCann and knew I loved his writing style. There are many similarities between the conflict in the Middle East and Northern Ireland. McCann does a masterful job in both of these novels
Another Transatlantic 
This was a 2020 read, but I include it because of the similar title. It was a fun read by one of writers of Ballykissangel, a favorite Irish television show.  I love the Finfarran series, which are perfect for a light, upbeat read.
A top nonfiction 0f 2021
This was the Library book club read for March. I wasn’t familiar with Patrick Radden Keefe before reading this nonfiction book about the disappearance and murder of Jean McConville . Amazing research and excellent writing about a complicated, violent subject covering so many aspects on a very personal level . 

This was a page turner by the television talk show host, who is also a fabulous author. I finished it in a weekend and I can honestly say I never saw that coming. Thanks Nish for sharing this book with me. Onz is up next to read it. A great book to talk about.


And lastly, Game of Tyrones

sign on Sally’s Bar
Omagh

I didn’t read Game of Thrones, but I watched the series part of which was filmed in Northern Ireland locations and at Titanic Studios in Belfast. I love the take on the name, and Sam is coming refers to the Sam Maguire cup. Our home county Tyrone plays Mayo tomorrow in the All Ireland Football final.

Calendar 2021
Tyrone and Us at Croke Park a few years go 
Fiona must have had a premonition Tyrone would be there this year.
Our home town in Ireland
Decorated for tomorrow’s match.

We’ll be watching the game on the television live. I am anxiously awaiting with fingers crossed that we will be celebrating tomorrow night. Come on Tyrone!






Comments

  1. Hopefully, you'll be able to get back home to Ireland for a visit soon. Come on Tyrone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the photos and hope you can get "home" soon. A Keeper was a good book wasn't it? Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've not heard of any of these, but they all sound really good. Hope you get home to Ireland soon and good luck on your game.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Apeirigon was one of my all-time favorite books. I also liked Transatlantic and Let The Great World Spin. Say Nothing has been on my TBR list for far too long. International travel is so fraught right now. We were rebooked (from 2020)for a tour of Scotland in August, but have now put it off until 2022. Hope it's possible then.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope that you get to visit your Ireland home soon! I loved seeing your photos and thanks for the book recommendation 😀. Take care and wishing you a wonderful week! Hugs Jo x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Favorite Read this month

Art in Bloom

T stands for Time together