Flipping pages on Friday

 I recently finished watching the  2008 John Adams miniseries on HBO based on David McCullough’s Pulitzer Prize winning biography. It was an excellent production, garnering numerous awards and bringing attention to an often overlooked founding father.

After watching the series, I have had a renewed interest in David McCullough and his books. I started by watching the Mass Historical Society’s History and the American Spirit, which was thoroughly entertaining as well as informative. It inspired me to check out a number of books, two that are currently on my nightstand and a few for future reads. It also provided me with an idea for gifts for some young friends.


These are two great choices for elementary school readers. Both end with an additional author’s notes page discussing some of the more complicated issues as well as a bibliography with the references used for the books, which has also inspired future readings.  I really enjoyed both books, from the artwork to the writing and am hopeful that my friends enjoy them as much as I did. 

Stay inspired by history and the storytellers. Happy reading!


Comments

  1. That John Adams series was fantastic. You found some really interesting kids books connected to the mini series too. Have you visited Adams homes down in Quincy? It is worth the trip if you like to see historical homes. Have a great weekend. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  2. The John Adams series was excellent-I think this was originally on our local pbs stations I would love to see it again
    Happy weekend Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. We enjoyed the John Adams series, too. His wife, Abigail, was something, wasn't she?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to be so late visiting. On Friday, I was without power for over 16 hours. I am hugging my AC about now after suffering 100 F heat for a full day!

    Abigail looks surprisingly modern on the cover of that book. I don't have HBO, so I will have to take your word that it is a good series. I think even I would like to read these two books!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We don't have HBO or I'd be tracking this down. I thought I had read the book, but the only McCullough book I've read is 1776-according to Goodreads, I read it in 2006.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Favorite Read this month

Art in Bloom

T stands for Time together