Flipping pages

 and slipping into the lives of celebrities 

Maybe not this celebrity
but I like his library passion

Autobiographies aren't my favorite genre, but I’ve read or listened to a few this year.

Sharon Stone’s book was chosen on a recommendation and I do love the title. She seems proud of her Irish heritage and I know she is quite involved in the peace process in Northern Ireland, but her depiction of Irish Americans felt disparaging.  She jumped around a good bit in the book and didn’t address some interesting topics, but overall an informative read. Her world wide and AIDS humanitarian work are inspiring.

Alright, alright, alright
The audiobook is the way to go.
I wasn’t sure how much I liked this book, but I talked so much about it, I think I loved it. For someone who seems so laid back, Matthew is a focused, intelligent actor. He was determined to transition from rom com star to dramatic actor, which he has accomplished with enormous success. I wouldn’t be surprised if McConaughy decides to run for Governor of Texas and wins. A rollicking good listen.



 

A series of essays by a very funny woman. I loved the title, but I refuse to think about my neck. A poignant, quick read about the everyday life in Uber expensive New York.

A challenging read dealing with the pressures on women’s’ appearances. It’s a relentless and unforgiving critique on how women are perceived in Hollywood and the scrutiny on young women and the invisibility of older women in the public at large. Lots of societal challenges to think about here.

Now on a different note, this is beautiful 

Library exchange box
in my neighborhood 

Picked up another autobiography for the nightstand. Staying out of the heat with a good book. What are you reading now?




Comments

  1. I don't read many biographies or autobiographies. I've seen the one about Mathhew M on lots of places. And maybe he won't run for Governor but senate or congress. Hmmm. Happy weekend Nan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a fan of biography, autobiography, and particularly, memoir. The only one of these I've read, however, is I Feel Bad About My Neck. I read it YEARS ago before I really had to think about aging in the way she described it. I've never forgotten a couple of insights, though. It's mostly true, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Biographies, autobiographies, I haven't read many. What am I reading now? Your blog! 😺 Enjoy the relief from the heat

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would gladly read that McConaughy bio. I hope he DOES run for gov of Texas. And right now I'm like CJ and reading your latest blog post.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Favorite Read this month

Art in Bloom

T stands for Time together