Words on Wednesday..

I love books that make you think, especially about complicated issues. We are All Completely Beside Ourselves A Novel by Karen Joy Fowler was based on a scientific experiment from the 1930's. It was not a book I would normally read, but Onz gave it high marks for being unexpected and thought provoking.
 
                                Thoughtful Primate                        

There is so much to think about in this book, from human/animal interaction, family relationships and scientific testing. I read this book years ago, several years after seeing an art installation  at the DeCordova Museum. The museum had lifesize 3d fabric monkeys hanging on vines. The exhibition was about animal testing and included a photographs of the monkeys. Their faces looked so human like and expressive. From this room, you entered another room, where there were photographs of the ravaged faces and bodies of AIDS vicitms.  it left me wondering about the costs and benefits of animal testing. I still don't know the answer. 



  
      
        


Comments

  1. Animal testing, a very thought provoking issue. Do humans have the right to assume human life is more valuable than animal lives? Would it be ethical to do preliminary drug testing on humans? No easy answers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The monkey you drew has very expressive eyes.

      Delete
    2. Thanks CJ, normally don't draw animals, but wanted to try something different. Maybe you inspired me with the leopard painting with the green eyes?

      Delete
  2. I remember when I was in grad school, one of my professors was part of the original space program. He said they treated monkeys as well as, or better than, humans. He said they threw bears out of airplanes at 30,000 feet. They were testing suits and seats. He said they never lost a single bear and if the space program had kept the original seats, the Challenger accident would not have cost the loss of the astronauts, since they were not killed by the explosion. As a scientist, I understand your concern. I am appalled by certain cosmetic companies and testing facilities that inject animals with harmful chemicals. The space program did NOT do that, at least.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that is so interesting about the space program. I am not a fan of big government, but there needs to be more regulation. Also, too much emphasis on profits, especially on the pharmaceutical side. We need more responsible, ethical practices. That's my wish.

      Delete
  3. I remember a book i read that was kind of out of my norm and thought provoking also... 'Almost Adam' loved it..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just looked up the book, seems very int, as does the author. On my too long already to read list! Thank you for the recommendation!

      Delete
  4. Great sketch of the monkey. I don't know if I could read that book and not get too sad. I am a softy for animals. I guess I give them too many human emotions but even though I am a scientist, I can underrstand how all those hormones in both us and animals give us the same responses. Hope all is well and you are enjoying these slightly cooler temperatures. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Erica. I was hoping to show the link with humanity. I definitely appreciate the link between humans and animals. Our interactions and relationships are mutually beneficial and we need to respect that. I recently read The Soul of an Octopus. I will never look at them the same way. Have a happy T(hurs)day!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Favorite Read this month

Art in Bloom

T stands for Traditions