Flipping pages with Females

I was excited to read West with Giraffes by Lynda Rutledge as I am a big fan of zoos. The book chronicles the journey of giraffes being transported from New York to the San Diego zoo after surviving a hurricane outside New York aboard the ship carrying them from Kenya. Belle Benchley, the first woman zoo director who transformed the San Francisco Zoo into a world class zoo, was the impetus behind the acquisition and transport. There’s a great review on Zoo Histories including photos of the giraffes. The book also covered the history of 1938 including the dust bowl, racism and women’s rights. 
Procreate practice 

This next book was an incredible biography of Virginia Hall. Her heroism and bravery in the face of adversity was remarkable. This book was fast paced and read like fiction. With resourcefulness and her ability to develop trustworthy relationships, she accomplished extraordinary feats despite her disability and the lack of support and confidence in women’s abilities at the time. 


Finishing off  today with a detailed biography of Abigail Adams, another remarkable woman well ahead of her time. Beyond her influence on John Adams, her desire for girls’ education and women’s rights. Abigail was a shrewd investor with a strong personality and was well able to quietly navigate the political scene. 
As Abigail said, “ Remember the Ladies.”



Comments

  1. Nice books Nan. I've read West With Giraffes which got better as I read it. I didn't really like the main character that much,, but the giraffe's story is fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You always have such interesting reads

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first two books have been on my radar for awhile, and I'm quite sure I'd like the biography. Wish my list wasn't quite so long! Thanks for the reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read about how the giraffes got to the San Diego Zoo and have seen photos of the crates they were kept in during the trip. I think this would be a fascinating read.

    I've read about Virginia Hall. She was one brave woman and originally from your part of the country. Her work in Europe, especially France won her much acclaim and respect. Great choices, all.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Favorite Read this month

Art in Bloom

T stands for Time together