Flipping pages on Friday

 With some poetry

I recently purchased this book because it includes some poems I love. This is the perfect book of poetry for these Covid times and fits well with my word of the year Hope.  Poets contributing include Amanda Gorman, Naomi Shihab Nye, Joy Harjo and Jane Hirshfield (just some of my favorites) made this book an easy selection. There are prompts for reflection, short biographies of the poets and much creative inspiration. I have found much to love in this accessible, hopeful collection. Already I know this is one to treasure and share.
I used a lovely soft watercolor background from Mia and added some trees and sparkle. Using the abstract art to build upon was something CJ and I experimented with in a calligraphy class with Gerry years ago. We used sumi ink then, but I love the watercolor effect. I will be trying more of that in the future. Is the grey color the Winter Warlock from Santa Claus is coming to town putting one foot in front of the other? Or is it a loyal, wise and hopeful elephant?  I wrote out this beautiful poem Hope by Rosemerry Wahtola Trommer. The blacked out area is an idea I got from Austin Klein’s book Steal like an Artist. Sometimes it can be hard to find the positive on the printed page; the challenge is to keep looking. Stay creative, stay hopeful and read some poetry. 

Comments

  1. Sounds like a great collection. I think its smart to put together a collection of poems that speak to the times. Glad you enjoy it. Happy weekend and stay warm tomorrow. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son-in-law introduced me to Black Out Art (or writing) quite a few years ago. I find it so intriguing. The poetry collection does include a lot of wonderful poets. As much as I like poetry, I don't seem to make regular time for reading it. I have Mary Oliver's Devotions sitting right here next to my chair but don't often pick it up. And yet, when I do, I really enjoy it. (Ought to add it to my habit tracker!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you got a lot out of that class. Stunning. Stay warm and dry this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry I'm so late visiting. This book sounds wonderful and your calligraphy is incredible. I'm both amazed and impressed.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Favorite Read this month

Art in Bloom

T stands for Traditions