Flying through the pages…sort of

 

I am a big fan of Maggie Shipstead and loved her book Seating Arrangements, so I was excited to read this expansive 600 page historical novel. The story of groundbreaking pilot Marian Graves starts before her birth through her parent’s meeting and relationship and ends after her death with a movie of her life in the works.

Marian is inspired by the barnstormers and dreams of adventure, escape and flying. She manages to accomplish this through  determination and sheer will; fearless in doing whatever necessary to fly. The book starts in 1914 and ends in present day with the young starlet, Hadley Baxter, who uncovers a surprising secret about Marian. The great circle encompassed a significant time period, the social mores and constraints, a deep explanation of flying, the restrictions on skilled women despite their talent and skill and a wide ranging geography. There was a lot packed into 600 pages. I felt I knew Marian, liked her artist brother Jamie, was intrigued by Caleb and wanted more of Hadley’s story.

This far reaching book piqued my curiosity about the history of female pilots and the role of women pilots in WW2. I picked up Fly Girls by Keith O’ Brien at a book swap so I can learn more about women who dared to fly against the odds.

After such a long read, I needed something a little shorter so I picked up this memoir from a favorite author at our library used book sale.

Blessings is still on my all time favorites list, but I love all of  Quindlen’s  books so I knew this would be a winner. This was a quick, uplifting fun read.  When Anna wrote about her dentist saying she had the gums of a 30 year old, I  laughed out loud because my dentist said I have the gums of a 20 year old!! Maybe it’s just a ‘pick-up-the floss’ line, but it does a mouth and body good.

Lastly, Leslie suggested The Crucible  by Arthur Miller for Halloween/Salem witch reading. I listened to the audiobook which featured an amazing cast. So good! It may make for some Halloween viewing..or else it’s the old standby Hocus Pocus.

Happy reading… and don’t forget to floss.

Comments

  1. I've read a lot about Great Circle, but your review is the first to encourage me to put it on my TBR list. It will be awhile. I put aside a 500 page book, The Magician, to read some library books that came in. I, too, have always loved Anna Quindlen. But it's amazing to me that I've never read Blessings. That goes on the TBR list, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like checking out your books Nan. I've read a few female pilot non-fiction books, including Fly Girls, which I enjoyed. Great Circle sounds right up my alley. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like good book choices especially since the weather will be turning cooler

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never heard of either of these books OR their authors, but I sure loved reading your great synopses.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Favorite Read this month

Art in Bloom

T stands for Time together